This is also good on linguine –hmmm barbecue linguine–the best of both worlds ?
1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed (NOTE: RED LENTILS WORK MUCH BETTER IN THIS -mashable)
2 medium onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
6 mushrooms, chopped
veg water or water (I used dry red wine)
2 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes (better to DRAIN off the liquid)
2 cups brown rice, cooked (I was a bit short on this so added some cooked rice cereal
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp Mrs. Dash’s garlic and herb seasoning blend
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 cup of barbecue sauce or ketchup (I think the bq sauce makes this dish–I like extra sauce too when serving)
I added Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (after cooking lentils) . Cook lentils in 2 1/2 cups water until tender, then partially mash lentils in some of the cooking water. (I am not sure I used this amount of water)
2. Stir-fry onions and mushrooms in broth, or water or wine. After they soften add spinach and cook covered until the spinach wilts.
3. Add onions and mushrooms, tomatoes, rice, garlic, sage, Mrs. Dash, and marjoram to lentils.
4. Press into a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan and spread with barbecue sauce on top. NOTE: This recipe actually makes enough for the 9 by 5 and another smaller pan.
5. Bake 45-60 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes, or linguine or in a sandwich or however.